Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Such Great Heights

I am thinking it's a sign
That the freckles in our eyes 
Are mirror images and when we kiss 
They're perfectly aligned
And I have to speculate
That God himself did make us 
Into corresponding shapes
Like puzzle pieces from the clay ...
They will see us waving from such great heights
Come down now, they'll say
But everything looks perfect from far away
Come down now, but we'll stay
Lyrics from Such Great Heights - remade by Iron and Wine


Today was it. The day we finally met our son, Micah James Greenlee. How could I ever attempt to put this experience into words? There are no words to capture the magic and the beauty of seeing your child for the first time. It is simply miraculous.

I had been anticipating this day from the beginning of the pregnancy, but since August when we learned the Micah would have Down syndrome, I was even more anxious for this precious arrival. While I never wanted to have an amniocentesis test to begin with, we learned that it would be helpful for doctors to determine why our baby had spots on his heart and fluid on his lungs. Once we had confirmation of his diagnosis, I was able to better prepare for this moment and I was thankful for it. I did not want to look back at the day of his birth with feelings of sadness or shock. I was able to process those feelings long before the magical day of his birth.

I was blessed with a very easy delivery. So quick and easy in fact that I wasn't sure Adam would be there. I believe Adam ran through the door about 5 minutes before Micah arrived.

The moment they laid this sweet child on my chest, my heart was filled with joy. He was gorgeous! He looked at me blinking and sticking his long tongue out over and over as if he was tasting the air. Adam and I would later admit to each other that we had visions of our son as an adult making those same facial movements and it scared us a little.

We spent the day and evening just marveling at this beautiful boy. 


We saw friends and family who were just as excited to meet him as we were. 



And the highlight of the entire day came when we introduced our girls to their new baby brother.





So many people have offered prayers and support since we found out that Micah had Down syndrome and we have appreciated every last one of them. Yes we know that raising this little guy will come with different challenges than our daughters, but that doesn't make this day any less sweet for us. He is here, he is healthy, he is our son!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment