Monday, October 24, 2011

Timing is Everything

When I woke up this morning, I could almost feel it in the air that something major was about to happen. I hardly slept at all. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for 8:00 am and I was feeling anxious about it. Last week my blood pressure was high enough to warrant bed rest and my doctor does not take chances with this sort of thing. Today the baby is considered full term so I know that there is a chance Dr. Foster is going to move up my induction date. 
While getting ready for my appointment, poor Vivienne is hit with a stomach bug. I know she can't go to school like this so I make arrangements for Adam to take her to work with him until my appointment is over. I would pick her up and she could rest at home while I worked from my satellite office located on my couch. 
As we all prepared to leave for the morning, I joked with Adam, "You know Dr. Foster is going to decide to induce me today because it would be the most inconvenient day of our lives." 
As I drove to the appointment I was stuck behind a tractor and I worried I might be late. When I pulled into the hospital parking lot I had one minute to spare. I walked (okay, I ran) through the doors to the elevator. Once I got into the doctor's office, I barely sat down before they called my name. 
First item on the agenda - weight check. As I suspected I was now weighing in at 183 pounds. A mere 48 pounds heavier then I was when I first became pregnant. 
Next item on the agenda - blood pressure check. I breathed slowly in and out trying to will my blood pressure into a normal range. 160/110. Uh oh!
Once I got to the exam room, Dr. Foster came in and told me that she would like me to spend the rest of the morning down in triage so they could get several more blood pressure checks while I was resting. I explained to her my morning scenario of Viv's stomach issue, the slow tractor, oh and another awesome tidbit, I had discovered our dog had tapeworms. She considered that these events might have created the spike in my blood pressure this morning, but it was still high enough that we needed to watch it.
Triage is my least favorite place on earth and I have no idea why. The nurses are always lovely but I just never feel comfortable there. My dear friend Kelly Vanover knows my displeasure for triage and surprised me with a nice long visit to help pass the time.
Shortly after Kelly left to go back to work, the nurse came in to tell me that Dr. Foster has decided to keep me. I would be moving to a labor and delivery room and preparing for an induction first thing in the morning.
The news came just around lunch so Adam and Vivienne were by my side right away. Poor Viv, still in her pajamas, and still fighting a belly ache. When Adam needed to leave for work again, I urged him to leave her with me. I needed this time with my girl because tomorrow, our family dynamic would be dramatically changing. We napped and played with paper dolls and it was a perfect afternoon.






















Tonight my dear friend Sarah and her sweetie pie Evelyn came to bring dinner and visit with me until Adam could get here. Sarah has offered to come tomorrow to take pictures of or shortly after the birth of our little man. Not only is she an amazing friend, but she is a great photographer!



So tonight I go to sleep as the mother of two beautiful daughters and sometime tomorrow I get to meet my son. What an amazing and blessed life.

No comments:

Post a Comment